It's pretty evident how helpful the online docs application can be, and the testimonials on the youtube video are very convincing. At present we have a system where students drop their work into a box on the common drive which has worked well so far, but generally they don't go in and edit one another's work unless it's to change the title of someone's work to something offensive. To stop that from happening we then create folders where students are unable to open or edit work once it's dropped there, so it breaks down the idea of a true learning community. I would love to encourage students to mark one another's work via google docs to promote that 'community'. It's also a really good application for group tasks, it means that students can work from home on the one document without having to share a computer ( and possibly fewer heated verbal disagreements?).
For Staff
I've created a pretty typical document that I would share with my colleagues and requires their input. It's a presentation of some information about Moses Maimonides which they can access and edit by following the link: https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0Ab4LXP1T1wo9ZGQzZ3ZxN18zZmh6OXIzY3E&hl=en&authkey=CL_ex4YE
In the past we generally create resources our selves and accept verbal suggestions from other staff as they use them, but this is an instantaneous and more efficient way of sharing resources. It also means that fewer staff are going to be re-inventing the wheel each time that they teach a topic.

Hi Jacinta
ReplyDeleteI thought I was the only De La Salle teacher who's doing Web 2.0 at the moment. I started in semester 1 and have just about finished. I have learned a lot from this course and can see the benefit for our students. I hope your Web 2.0 journey is an interesting one too.
Annette Zappia