There is one aspect of blogging in the teacher-student relationship about which I am curious: why blog when you can have a conversation? I have a deep fear that we are doing our students a disservice by providing them with the tools to become even more anti-social and socially inept than some of them already are. The other day I asked a student to put away his laptop at lunchtime. He asked why, and I replied that it is anti-social to sit at his computer during lunch, and that he should be speaking with other people. He replied that he was playing an interactive computer game.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Why Blog?
There is one aspect of blogging in the teacher-student relationship about which I am curious: why blog when you can have a conversation? I have a deep fear that we are doing our students a disservice by providing them with the tools to become even more anti-social and socially inept than some of them already are. The other day I asked a student to put away his laptop at lunchtime. He asked why, and I replied that it is anti-social to sit at his computer during lunch, and that he should be speaking with other people. He replied that he was playing an interactive computer game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jacinta,
ReplyDeleteGood to see that you are on the Web 2.0 path too. I agree with your final comment in this post about encouraging students to interact personally with the people around them, not just online. I can see that blogging can play an important role as a way of getting students to reflect on their learning. They can also share the process of learning with students from other places, but I think online learning must become A TOOL not THE WAY that we do things.
Having said that I'm looking forward to sharing the reflections of other teachers doing this course too.
If you're interested my blog is at http://michaelreidreflections.blogspot.com/
Michael