Monday, August 9, 2010

Module 1

I am excited about the Web 2.0 course because there are so many things that I see on the internet that I would love to be able to create myself. At present I have a Wikispace for my year 9 music class but I probably spend more time fiddling around with it than is necessary because I don't have a guide as such.

When creating my igoogle home page, I added youtube as one of the gadgets, with the most viewed video of the day as the starting point. I love youtube not just because it connects us with people from all walks of life who have access to a camera, but because it is a good point of reference for my students. For example, if they like a song, I'll tell them to go and look up the original version or another work by the same composer. Youtube never lets me down, there is always something interesting there for the students to discover. I also embed youtube videos in our class wiki and ask the students to respond to them, and so far none of them have had trouble with the technology.

It was interesting that in several of the youtube videos about web 2.0, they talk about it in terms of the future and all the new opportunities that are emerging through these tools. I wonder if my students will recognise the value of web 2.0 as emerging technology or if they are oblivious to what life was like pre-internet?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacinta,

    I am Kimberley. I worked at De La Salle Ashfield for two years in 2007 and 2008. I've noticed we need to make comments about other teachers completing Web 2.0 - most so far I have seen are in the primary sector.

    goodluck with it all.

    ReplyDelete